Foreign professionals with a German or other recognized university degree or a foreign university degree equivalent to a German university degree or who have undergone a qualified vocational education in Germany or an equivalent foreign qualification are eligible to enter Germany to seek employment in accordance with their qualifications. Holders of a job seeker visa may stay in Germany for up to six months to seek employment.
Due to the present situation in the German labor market, potential workers from outside of Germany have a good chance of finding employment. German labor market is searching for qualified employees in the following categories: doctor of human medicine (MD), caregivers, technology and craftsmanship.
Potential applicants can verify if their foreign university degree is recognized or equivalent through the Website ANABIN.
In general, applicants with a university degree do not have to prove German language skills in order to apply for a job seeker visa. However, the chance of a realistic job offer increases if the applicant can prove that he/she has German language skills.
Professionals with a qualified vocational education have to have acquired knowledge of German that matches the sought job, in general at least on the level of B1.
If your job search has been successful, the local Foreigners Office in Germany can change your visa into a residence permit without you having to leave Germany again, to apply for a work visa.
More Information on working in Germany can be found on this website: Make-it-in-Germany.
Please ensure that your application documents are complete! Incomplete applications can cause delays or may result in rejection of the visa application.
This checklist is regularly updated but makes no claim to be complete.
Further documentation can at all times be requested or provided by the applicant, in support of the application.
Prepare your application
- 2 original duly completed visa application forms and Declaration in accordance with Section 53 and 54 of the Residence Act
The following documents need to be presented in original and 2 copies:
- passport (at least 2 free pages, not older than 10 years)
- for non-Singaporeans: proof of legal residence in Singapore (e.g. EP;DP; Student Pass), incl. printout of your current Singaporean residence permit validity (no QR-Code)
- 2 recent passport photographs (not older than 3 months) according to biometric specifications (see sample photos below)
- health insurance (travel health insurance) valid for the complete duration of your stay
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the entire stay by:
- a) detailed bank statements of at least the last 3 month OR
- b) blocked account with a min. of 947 €/month OR
- c) a formal letter of obligation, according to paragraph §§66,68 of the Aliens Act, from a resident of Germany and for the duration of the applicant's stay in Germany
- Curriculum vitae of professional career, including certificates, diplomas, etc. of your higher education
- Letter of motivation providing information on the planned course of action to secure a job (sector, region, intended places of residence, accommodation, etc. )
- German university degree or recognized foreign degree comparable to a German degree.
Evidence of qualification: e.g. diplomas, certificates, proof of recognition of the degree.
You can inquire on the databank ANABIN if your foreign degree of higher education is equivalent and the institute of higher education is recognized – both print-outs must be submitted.
- any additional evidence of your preparations to secure a job that can already be provided (e.g. invitations to job interviews etc).
- fee for the processing of the visa application is the equivalent of EURO 75.00 to be paid in SGD, either by cash or credit card (Visa- and Mastercard only)
Information on the visa process
Please do not send unrequested documents to the Visa Department, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the Embassy.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than English or German have to be submitted with an official Translation.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent German Embassy in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application is usually 2-3 weeks, upon submission of complete documents, sometimes longer.
You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided.
Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered.
It is recommended that at no time a flight ticket should be purchased until a visa has been granted.
Book your Appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the Visa Department.
There your complete application documents including the visa fee will be accepted, a short interview will be conducted and biometric data registered.
The appointment needs to be booked through the appointment system of the Embassy.
This is a visa for university graduates from countries outside the EU, which enables them to come to Germany for up to six months for the purpose of seeking employment commensurate with their…