If you wish to participate in an intensive language Course (more than 90 days) you are required to obtain a residence permit in form of a national visa. This visa must be issued before you enter the country.
Long –term language visas can only be granted in exceptional cases with a concentrate motivation. An application out of personal interest with no evidence of previous efforts to learn German is generally not likely to be successful.
Please ensure that your application documents are complete! Incomplete applications can cause delays or may result in rejection of the visa application.
This checklist is regularly updated but makes no claim to be complete.
Further documentation can at all times be requested or provided by the applicant, in support of the application.
Prepare your application
Please do not staple the documents and renounce paper clips.
- original duly completed visa application form and Declaration in accordance with Section 53 and 54 of the Residence Act - Online application form
The following documents need to be presented in original and 1 copy:
- passport (at least 2 free pages, not older than 10 years)
- for non-Singaporeans: proof of legal residence in Singapore (e.g. EP;DP; Student Pass), incl. printout of your current Singaporean residence permit validity (no QR-Code)
- recent passport photograph (not older than 3 months) according to biometric specifications (see sample photos below)
- health insurance (travel health insurance) valid at least for the first 3 months of the stay
- Invitation letter by the language school with details (cost, level, length, etc.)
- Letter of motivation
- Curriculum vitae of professional career, specifying the certificates, diplomas, etc. you have obtained
- proof of accommodation in Germany, e.g. lease contract, invitation letter from third Person
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the entire stay by:
- a) bank statements of the last 3 month OR
- b) blocked account with a min. of 947 €/month OR
- c) a formal letter of obligation, according to paragraph §§66,68 of the Aliens Act, from a resident of Germany and for the duration of the applicant's stay in Germany
- fee for the processing of the visa application is the equivalent of EURO 75.00 to be paid in SGD, either by cash or credit card (Visa- and Mastercard only)
Information on the visa process
Please do not send unrequested documents to the Visa Department, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the Embassy.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than English or German have to be submitted with an official Translation.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent German Embassy in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application is usually 8-12 weeks, upon submission of complete documents, sometimes longer.
You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided. Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered.
It is recommended that at no time a flight ticket should be purchased until a visa has been granted.
Book your Appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the Visa Department.
There your complete application documents including the visa fee will be accepted, a short interview will be conducted and biometric data registered.
The appointment needs to be booked through the appointment system of the Embassy.